Sunday, May 01, 2005

Astros 9- Cubs 3

Yikes. It was a bad loss today and I'm not sure one run losses are worse emotionally. Prior had a great outing except for a horrible 5th inning when he hung an 0-2 fastball that was lined out for a grandslam. He then walked the next two batters for Adam Everett to hit a 3 run HR. Prior would say it wasn't his best performance either. Baker continues to leave Jason DuBois to rot on the bench. Today, though he graced us with some quotes on Cubs.com.

"I try to match him up against guys who are conducive for his swing," Baker said. "I asked Roger Craig when I got the job [in San Francisco] to give me one tip. He told me to match guys up in situations where they will succeed." So if he's not batting him against guys that aren't conducive to his swing, does that mean Corey Patterson doesn't bat against guys that throw high fastballs? Because those aren't conducive to his swing.

"That's really unfair," Baker said of the criticism. "How could I have that attitude? I'm trying to play the best guys to win, young or old. You have to consider what [Todd Hollandsworth] showed us last year. I know 'Holly' can hit, and I know Dubois is going to hit. " Hollandsworth showed his stuff in a limited role for 3 freaking months last season. That's not a big sample size. DuBois is playing a whole lot better right now and deserves the oppurtunity.

The problem I have with Baker is if the roles were reversed, would DuBois be seeing any playing time right now? I don't think so, Mark Bellhorn ring a bell to everyone. Thank God, we don't have to see Lenny Harris being run out to third base any time soon. A classic example was today in the 9th inning the bases were loaded with 2 outs and Hollandsworth up. John Franco a really old left hander was on the mound. Franco is so old that I have an original Starting Lineup of him. And people who know what Starting Lineups are, know that he was a star in the late '80s. DuBois should have pinch hit, but instead Hollsandsworth was left in and popped out. If a right was on the mound and DuBois was due up, I'd put a lot of money on Todd Hollandsworth stepping out of that dugout.

Cubs come to Interstate94's current residence this week. I thought it would be cool until half of my finals got moved to this week instead of next. I'll be there on Tuesday though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home