Sunday, March 20, 2005

NCAA Tournament

I had the quality of having nothing to do this weekend, but watch basketball and that's what I did. I came away very impressed with Washington, West Virginia, and Texas Tech, all in the same bracket. I didn't get to see much of North Carolina at all, but I was impressed with their scores. Washington has tons of athleticism, more than Louisville. I think about 65% of all people are taking Louisville to win that region, which is nonsense. Washington plays great defense and has many guys that can take people off of the dribble. I have been impressed with West Virgina since they beat Pittsburgh at home. Yesterday they were just on their A game. Wake Forest couldn't do anything they wanted to near the end of the game or the overtimes. They were lucky to extend it that far. Finally Texas Tech showed off their Knightness in knocking off Gonzaga. While Gonzaga when on a couple of runs, Texas Tech calmly cut into the lead and continued running the motion offense and getting more and more baskets. I think about the 7 minute mark on, I had a feeling Texas Tech would pull that one out.

For the Final Four, I'm sticking with the first 3 and let's add Texas Tech to upset Washington in the Elite Eight to send Knight to the Final Four. That will send Indiana fans into craziness. I didn't mention UWM, because their win over BC wasn't that impressive. BC continually got lost on defense and it just seemed like a gimmick. Gimmicks die over a long week with the number one team in America coming up.

Off Topic: The whole Terri Schiavo case is ridiculous. For perspective, I was talking about this in an MU medical ethics class in the fall of '03. It isn't a new issue. The thing that bugs me is when Congress talks like a bunch of doctors when they have no business talking about any medical issues besides the funding of Medicare and Medicaid. About every court appointed doctor that I have read has stated that she is in a vegetative state and has been for 15 years. I have seen the videos of her "tracking" a balloon and watching blinking lights, and they don't impress me that much. Supposedly she said something when they took the feeding tube out, but I couldn't get the MP3 to work. Whatever your feelings on the feeding tube is debatable for me, but Congress has no right to play doctor which I have heard some doing this past week. My solution: let's do it the Jack Welch way. Let's get Schiavo's husband and parents together and LOCK them in a conference room where they will not leave until a decision is made. People never want to negotiate just have people work for them and get more on their side. At some point, you have just to sit down and git 'er done as Larry the Cable Guy would say. I promise no more off-topics for a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home