Thursday, May 12, 2005

Lots of Updates

Marquette
Well if you didn't hear the news, here it is. I think this was one of the best moves that the Board of Trustees could have done. It was obvious from all of the polls that this was a mistake and the board figured that out. They actually admitted they made a mistake and are trying to change that now. I don't really have any ideas, unless we go back to Avalanche, Hilltoppers or Warriors. They say that Warriors will not come back and in fact your vote will be thrown out if you write in Warriors. As somebody posted on Ahoya, maybe it's time to put pressure on the Native American tribes and explain our position and how we feel Warriors without the mascot is not offensive. Besides the Board of Trustees, the Great Lakes Tribal Council has come out of the most negative publicity. Unfair or not, they have come across as stubborn and narrow minded. Nothing bad can come out of some positive PR for all of the Native American tribes if they gave their go ahead for Warriors. I'm pondering if I write in Warrios whether that will be counted or not. Like the bad guy in Super Mario Bros..

Cubs
If you didn't know already, I have a huge man-crush on one Derrek Lee. And I have ever since he came to the Cubs before the 2004 season. Lee is my favorite Cubs player, which is saying a lot since I usually yell at the whole team when they screw up during games. Lee was one of my favorite players during the nightmare that was last season. He really played hard and never asked for a day off at the end of the season, even though he was so worn down. He has basically carried the Cubs offense in Nomar's absence and Aramis's semi-slump this season. Yesterday was a pure example of what he means to the Cubs. Dempster (the new closer,ahhhhhhh) blew his first save in the role. Lee came up in the bottom of the 10th and went down 0-2. He worked it to 3-2 and kept fouling off pitches, until he got one he liked and blasted it out. It was more significant because it was straight into a 25 MPH gusting wind. Lee didn't care how hard the wind was blowing, he wanted that game.
I plan on doing a Michael Wuertz for closer study coming up sometime. Dusty's comment about pitching in back to back games was true, although the Cubs haven't had enough wins this season to warrant a closer in back to back games.

Me
Finally I would like to say that I am done with my 5th year of college as of yesterday. This year went by very fast, especially with the clinical in the middle of November to December. Last night was our year end party at one of our professor's house. Physical therapy students party as hard as about any other students almost like a little fraternity.I will miss everyone this summer when I'm back home in Indiana at my clinical.


So yes, I'm moving back home for the summer to work on my inpatient rehabilitation skills. I'm unlike a lot of 23 year olds, in that I am looking forward to being at home with my family. Anybody who knows my family knows that we are very, very tight group. It will be good to spend time with my parents, sisters, grandfathers and my aunts and uncles and cousins. This will also be my last "free" summer, after which I have to get a real job and work during the summer. Also being at home, means I can volunteer coach 10-12 year old baseball and also watch all of the Cub games I want, as long as they aren't during work.

Next year will be another challenge and I am not looking forward to it. I will be all by myself in an apartment as I have outlasted every other member of 202, my old, awesome apartment, with the best 4 guys I could have ever lived with. Interstate 94's roommate moves out to cushy Waukesha and a new house. And Interstate 94's special friend will be in Chicago, a short $1.50 IPASS toll away, but still a long way from a couple of blocks like they are now. Change sucks, but it always seems to work out in the end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home