Sunday, October 23, 2005

Question #7

The free agent market is one of the weakest in years, but the Cubs look to have plenty of cash to spend on it. Should they spend, spend, spend, and if so what should their targets be? Or should they hold on to it until next year or use it to take some garbage contracts off other teams? Should they spend it on extensions for any current players? (Cub Reporter)

I don't think the Cubs should spend, spend, spend simply because the free agent marked isn't that good. According to Al's recent rumors, the Cubs are targeting both Brian Giles and BJ Ryan. I think Giles would be a good addition in a 2, maybe 3 year deal. Ryan should be about a 3 year deal as well. Otherwise, I think they should hold onto the money for next year. I don't know whose bad contracts will be available, maybe Ramirez or maybe A-Rod after all of the negative articles after the post-season. I think both of those players should be looked at seriously, but not taken for a crap load of prospects. I would like to see extensions for both Derrek Lee and Carlos Zambrano.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home