Saturday, October 29, 2005

MU Scrimmage/ Cubs Question

I had the oppurtunity take in MU tonight at "Haunted Hoops." I saw them also at Marquette Madness a couple of weeks ago, but didn't have time to report anything much because of an job interview the next day. But I did go tonight to check the team out. I got there at 9 with about 5 minutes left in the first half. I kind of guessed right again. MU always has these things "start" but they don't actually play for a half hour or an hour. The team overall looked tired and kind of beat up. Lots of noticable limps for the team overall. James looked frustrated overall in the offensive sets. It was hard for him to penetrate against the taller Fitzgerald and his shot was noticably long. It also looked like he had some kind of trunk/hip injury that was affecting his running. Mortensen has a nice stroke, but I didn't see much outside of that. Fitzgerald is really good and is probably one of our top 5 players. He's probably the second best ball handler at this point. We'll see if that translates to a starting postion. Burke is active, but smaller than I remember him. Novak had a typical night. I think he will have better this season simply because James sees the floor so well and is a great penetrator. McNeal was obviously limited by his ankle. I was wincing everytime I saw him run. I think he's still in some pain. Matthews was one of the best players tonight. However, he will have a tough time being the point guard as seen when James picked him clean and went in for an easy lay-up. Chapman looks to have an improved stroke, but looks to be limited on the left? knee. Grimm was Grimm. He's very vocal on the defensive end. Kinsella is out until December. Barro looked kind of lost at times tonight. Amoroso hit a lot of 3's from other reports I saw, but I think he's our best post player at this time. And finally Lott is very active, offensively and defensively. He's a little smaller than Marcus Jackson, but has more movement. That's my report for now.

Cubs
The Cubs have reportedly picked up the options on Walker, Williamson and declined the option on Burnitz. My dream would be to have Walker back to play second base. I hope Hendry did not do this to trade him. Todd deserves to start somewhere. Willamson showed promise out of the bullpen and will hopefully be one of the main set-up men in front of Dempster. And as for Burnitz, 7 million is too much, but if we would be willing to be a pinch hitter and a glove off of the bench I hope the Cubs would welcome him back.

Let’s talk specific players. Should Baker and Hendry give the keys to left field to Matt Murton or do they look for other options? (Cub Reporter)
I think Murton should be given a starting job next year. He should bat 2nd in front of Lee, although Dusty will probably bat him seventh. The Cubs have to start playing the young guys and the best of them should play LF or RF for the Cubs next season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home