Sunday, October 01, 2006

Bye Bye Andy

Thankfully, the 2006 Cubs season ended this afternoon with a win over the Rockies. I can't say I watched a lot of this season, because I started work and other excuses. The Cubs did something extraordinary after the game, when they let team president Andy Macphail go. It's obvious that changes needed to be made and Macphail was exactly right when he said two playoffs in his 12 years was unacceptable.

I know what many people may disagree with me, but I really like the choice of John McDonough as choice for new team president. I saw McDonough's press conference and his two main points were: 1. the World Series championship is the only goal for this team, and anything else should be working towards that. 2. He emphasized the fans as being a focal point and they deserved much more than the Cubs have given him. McDonough was a marketing genius for this team and it showed in the attendance numbers for this sucky team, including this year. I don't know how much control he will have over personnel decisions or salaries, but I think he has the right attitude to allow the Cubs to progress towards that elusive championship.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home